New Zion United Methodist Church, located between Baltimore, Pickerington, and Etna, Ohio, has served the citizens of these communities since 1897. The congregation started from the itinerant or circuit riders sent by the Evangelical Association to the German-speaking Swiss pioneers who had established their homes in Liberty Township. They opened their homes for worship and for evangelistic meetings. They gave generously of their resources and the original Zion church was built in 1856 on the northeast corner of Snyder Church and Stemen Roads. The church was rebuilt in 1868 to accommodate the district conference. The congregation continued to grow and because of growth and changes in church philosophy, the present New Zion Church was built in 1897 across the road.